Hi, my name’s Andy Henderson and I’ve just taken over from Sue Underwood as chair of Cycle Hayling.
Some of the finest views, picnic spots and beaches on the Island are best enjoyed by bicycle. For instance, most of the Island’s western shore, with its superb views across Langstone Harbour and unrivalled birdwatching, is only accessible by bike on foot or on horseback. And cycling along Hayling’s seafront lets you enjoy the excellent beach facilities without having to pay parking charges.
There you are whiling away the hours watching some awful programme on the TV or playing some pointless computer game when you realise you need some fresh air and exercise. Well there are not many better ways than going for a leisure bike ride!
CTC Portsmouth have organised cycle rides every Saturday and Wednesday (and short Thursday rides in the summer evenings).
Hayling Island is in a great position for the leisure cyclist. We have the South Downs national park right on our doorstep.
The best way is to join a group. That way you can:
- Learn routes that avoid main roads
- Enjoy exploring the countryside with like-minded people
- Stretch yourself knowing you have support from the group if you get into trouble
- Get god advice about clothing and equipment
- Find out other cycling possibilities in the area and further afield